I love having green juice in the morning. Before I got married, it was part of my morning routine. But now that I’ve adopted my husband’s night-owl tendencies, I’ve been struggling with waking up early enough to make it before work. Luckily, I found a solution that’s been working out pretty well.
Instead of making green juice in the morning, I make it at night, typically before I shower. So I guess you could say it’s part of my night routine now. I pour our green juice into insulated containers that my father-in-law bought for us. I like it better than keeping it in the fridge in a mason jar because our insulated containers aren’t cold to the touch and don’t get everything wet with condensation. Plus, I feel like the insulated containers keep it fresher.
Here’s a typical list of ingredients I use:
- two or three handfuls of mixed greens (spinach, kale and chard) – I like Power to the Greens from Trader Joe’s
- one or half of a fresh or frozen banana
- a small handful of frozen mango chunks
- a small handful of frozen pineapple chunks
- a cup of coconut water – I like the brand Zico, which you can buy in bulk at Costco for a lot cheaper than the grocery store
I will make adjustments depending on how I feel (i.e. more greens if I want it to taste less sweet, less coconut water for a thicker texture, etc.).
Since I don’t really eat breakfast, the green juice has done a pretty good job of keeping me full until lunch time. Another thing I’ve noticed is that I stopped drinking coffee every morning because it takes me a while to finish the green juice and by the time I’m done, either the coffee is all gone or cold. And I’m usually too lazy to make a fresh pot just for myself.
Tip: Use frozen fruits in lieu of ice so the flavor doesn’t get diluted!